web 2.0

'Excited and happy' Henin reckons Australian Open title is within reach

JUSTINE HENIN considers it ''possible'' she can win the Australian Open in just her third comeback tournament and probable she will become a better player in the second phase of her decorated career than she was in the first.

''I believe I can be a better player, I believe I can use my experience more than in the past,'' Henin said in Brisbane yesterday while preparing for Sunday's start to the Brisbane International, her first tournament in 20 months.

''When you are into [playing tennis at] 200 per cent you have no time to realise it. You are too involved all the time and all this time off helped me to realise everything I achieved. What I can say is I know myself much better and that's the most important thing.''

Henin, 27, arrived in Queensland with her long-time coach Carlos Rodriguez late on Monday night, having last played in Australia almost two years ago.

The Belgian, who believes she has found peace and maturity during her break from the game, practised for an hour yesterday morning on Pat Rafter Arena and admitted she would need time to adjust.

''It is tough - the humidity and the long trip and the jet lag, and I am not used to it any more - but I am very excited and I am here a week before the start of the tournament so I am sure I will have enough time to get ready and be 100 per cent,'' she said.

''I had forgot[ten] how hot it was but, no, it is good, and I hope I can use my experience, but it takes a few days and I have to be patient and take some time not to go too fast. It was pretty hard last night but now it is good and I am excited and happy to be back on the tour. It is a strange feeling but a good one.''

Henin retired 11 days before last year's French Open, where she was the defending champion and would have been the top seed. She announced comeback plans in September and has since played only a handful of exhibition matches, accepting wildcards into the Brisbane and Sydney Internationals before the Australian Open, where betting agencies have installed her as third favourite behind world No.1 Serena Williams and Kim Clijsters.

''I think anything is possible, all the time,'' Henin said. ''I go day after day and I hope I have a good preparation the next two weeks. I don't plan my career on the next three or four weeks - I plan it for the next three or four years now.''

The winner of seven grand slam singles titles - including the 2004 Australian Open among 41 career singles trophies, Henin has said repeatedly that much of her decision to return is related to her desire to achieve the Wimbledon success that has so far proved elusive. LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment